Degrees, Certificates, and Concentrations
This minor is designed to help mitigate the shortage of trained professionals by building students' competenceies in the areas of food system transformation, environmental sustainability, nutritional health improvement and social justice.
This certificate prepares students with the knowledge and skills that are necessary to conduct international work on a variety of different topics, such as food and nutrition.
Several different programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees allow/require cognates, or a grouping of related courses, such as nutrition. For more information contact your advisor.
Nutrition and Related Courses
Spring 2023 Nutrition Course Offerings
|HPEB 489: Food Systems Capstone Seminar|
|HPEB 502: Applied Aspects of Human Nutrition|
|HPEB 560: Cooking Up a Storm: Food, Globalization,
Localization, and Health in the South
|HPEB 620: Nutrition Through the Life Cycle|
|EXSC 507: Exercise, Sport, and Nutrition|
|EXSC 620: Nutrition and Immunology|
|NURS 220: Clinical Nutrition|
|ANTH 212: Food and Culture|
|HRTM 164: Introduction to Healthy Mediterranean Cooking|
|HRTM 340: Nutrition|
|BIOL 425: Plant Form and Function|
|BIOL 465: Domestic Animal Nutrition|
|GEOG 538/ENVR 538: Global Food Politics
*Some courses may have prerequisites or restrictions.
Practicum opportunities are available in the field of nutrition. Visit MySPH for more information on current available opportunities. For more information on previous practicum sites, check out this table.
- Performance Nutrition Intern - Duties include supporting the Performance Nutrition staff members in daily activities to assisting and educating the student-athletes to reaching their peak performance through nutrition, assisting the Performance Nutrition staff in creating and promoting educational materials that will serve to enhance the student-athletes performance, observing and assisting with conducting consults, team talks, body composition testing, hydration testing, and cooking demos.
- Clinic Based Health Education/Chronic Disease Prevention/Management - The Clinic Based Health Educator will perform the initial patient assessment, develop educational intervention plan , and document patient centered behavior goals to improve the health of the patient. Evaluation of the behavior health improvement i.e. nutritional changes, exercise, will be at the next patient visit or via electronic communications.
- The South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services has several open internship/practicum positions, including positions with the Birth Outcome Initiative, the Behavioral Health Policy Management Team, the Behavioral Health Quality Assurance Team, and more.
Interested in working with an Affiliated Scholar of the Nutrition Consortium? Fill out the following form and we will notify you of next steps to take.
- Aramark is looking for a Sustainability Coordinator who is enthusiastic and motivated to design and implement solutions in campus dining operations with students, faculty and staff. This position plays a vital role in implementation of Aramark’s Be Well. Do Well. Sustainability plan as well supporting our campus sustainability efforts and serving as a liaison to the campus community.
- Work directly with Carolina Food Co.'s Registered Dietitian, Ashley Mulkern, MS, RD, LD! Campus dining is seeking 2-4 nutrition focused employees to assist the dietitian as a Health and Wellness Event Coordinator and an Allergen Coordinator & True Balance Champion on campus. If you're interested, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kitchen Assistants are needed for a nutrition intervention study at UofSC. You can read more about it at www.DG3D.org. They are looking for students to assist in the Discovery teaching kitchen on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings. Monday would be from 3-8:30pm and Tuesday would be from 3-7pm. Hours and times are flexible based on the student's schedule. Tasks include chopping and preparing ingredients for cooking demonstrations and helping to set up the class and clean up afterwards. Opportunities to continue into the fall.
- Arnold Childhood Obesity Initiative has an application for undergraduate students interested in doing research for credit hours. Apply here.
- A volunteer research assistant position is available at the Drexel Center for Weight Eating and Lifestyle Science Center (WELL Center) at Drexel University in the laboratory of Evan Forman, PhD. Dr. Forman’s research focuses on designing, refining, implementing and evaluating innovative behavioral and technology-based treatments for obesity and related eating problems. The position represents an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on research experience in clinical psychology, public health, and related fields, especially in preparation for graduate study in these areas. The position is entirely remote. Hours are negotiable and could range from 5 hours per week to 15 hours per week, if involvement in additional laboratory projects is desired. If you are interested, please complete the application here.
- The Nutrition Consortium is hiring a Graduate Assistant to assist with their symposium and other nutrition-related events. If interested, please email email@example.com.
- Interested in coming to UofSC to pursue graduate work in nutrition and health behavior? Want to come join the Behavioral Research in Eating Lab(BRIE) lab? Or are you interested in learning more about the work at the BRIE lab? If so, please fill out the contact form.
Completed Dissertations & Theses
- Agrelius, T. C.(2022). Methyltransferase Mystery: Epigenetic Mechanisms Induced by Food Limitation in Daphnia Pule.
- Alhabas, M. S.(2022). Food Insecurity Resilience of Refugee Families in the United States: A Qualitative Study.
- Bhandari, S.(2022). Homestead Vegetable and Poultry Production and Related Practices: An Assessment in Nepal.
- Bucko, A.(2022). Relationships Among Sleep, Physical Activity, and Weight Status in Children and Adolescents.
- Cintineo, H. P.(2022). Sports Nutrition- and Strength and Conditioning-based Interventions to Bolster Health and Human Performance in Male and Female Tactical Personnel.
- DuBois, K. E.(2022). Living With Ulcerative Colitis: Exploring Dietary Inflammatory Intake, Physical Activity, and Methods to Manage the Burden of Illness.
- Fair, M. L.(2022). Exploration of the Role of Neighborhood Residential Segregation by Race and Ethnicity in Obesity Risk Among School-Aged.
- Bercaw, H.(2022). Longitudinal Relation of Dietary Quality and Hemoglobin A1C in Youth and Young Adults With Diabetes.
- Byland, S.(2022). Self Reported Cardiovascular Health and Health Behaviors in Women Veterans.
- Isanovic, S.(2022). Perspectives About Food Safety in Diverse Low- And Middle-Income Countries.
- Quattlebaum, M.(2022). Moderating Effects of Parental Feeding Practices and Emotional Eating on Dietary Intake Among Overweight African American Adolescents.
- Tyson, N.(2022). Association Between Postpartum Weight Retention and the Dietary Inflammatory Index.
- Vincenty, C. S.(2022). Impact of a Novel Marine Algae Supplement on Inflammatory and Immune Response After High-Intensity Exercise.
- Aladhami, A.(2021). Role of Estrogen in Regulating Diet-Induced Obesity in Females.
- Alvarado, C. R.(2021). The Inflammatory Potential of Diet and its Relationship with Metabolic, Mental, and Cardiovascular Health among Childhood Cancer Survivors: The St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Study (SJLIFE).
- Hoy, K. I.(2021). A Contextual Evaluation of the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program in South Carolina and Related Child Health Behaviors.
- Kyryliuk, R.(2021). Strengthening the Evidence-Base of Youth Nutrition Programs: A Three Part Approach.
- Martin, K. E.(2021). Helping High School Students Succeed Academically by Meeting Their More Basic Needs.
- Mohammed, A. D.(2021). Defining the Pathophysiology of Gut Humoral Immunodeficiency.
- Momodu, O. A.(2021). Evaluating the Health Impact of CenteringPregnancy Program Versus Traditional Prenatal Care in Midland Obstetric Clinics and Validating Selected Item On Birth Certificate.
- Rampalli, K. K.(2021). Food Choice Decision-Making Among School-Going Adolescents Amidst the Nutrition Transition in Urban Accra, Ghana.
- Reid, L. A.(2021). Household Food Security, Lifestyle Factors, and Glycemic Control Among Youth and Young Adults With Diabetes.
- Smith, A.(2021). Examination of Energy Needs and Female Athlete Triad Components in Competitive Cheerleaders.
- Wilson, M. J.(2021). A Cost Effectiveness Analysis Of The Nutritious Eating With Soul Study.
- Bevel, M. S.(2020). The Impact of Psychosocial, Clinical, and Neighborhood Factors on Inflammatory Outcomes Among African American Women.
- Browder, J. K.(2020). A Narrative Inquiry Into the Lived Experiences of Early Childhood Teachers Who Implemented Garden-Based Learning.
- Chinaeke, E. E.(2020). Treatment With Protease Inhibitor and Development of Diabetes Among Medicare Beneficiaries With Human Immune Virus/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (HIV/AIDS).
- Cofie, A.(2020). Correlates of Maternal Health Service Use and Women’s Experiences Using Antenatal Care in Ghana: A Mixed-Methods Study.
- Constantinides, S. V.(2020). Determinants of Nutrition Agenda Setting in the Context of the Double Burden of Malnutrition in Tamil Nadu, India.
- Feng, Z. (2020). Digesting gender: Gendered foodways in modern chinese literature, 1890s–1940s.
- Horton Dias, C. E. (2020). An evaluation of the healthfulness of the hospital food environment.
- Iruhiriye, E.(2020). Understanding the Role of Political Commitment and Coherence Across Sectors and Across National and Sub-National Levels in Enabling Improvements in Nutrition in Rwanda.
- Jesmin, R.(2020). Mechanistic Insight on Vibrio Gazogenes Mediated Intervention of Aflatoxin Biosynthesis in Aspergillus Flavus.
- Joy, B. K.(2020). Freedom and Food: Transformations and Continuities in Foodways Among the People Who Labored at Stono Plantation, James Island, South Carolina During the Eighteenth, Nineteenth, and Twentieth Centuries.
- Larsen, C.(2020). Piloting a Smartphone-Based Sedentary Behavior Reduction Intervention for Adults With Overweight or Obesity: Take a STAND 4 Health.
- McMullen, T. P.(2020). Does Marriage, Employment and Having Children Matter? A Secondary Analysis on Physical Activity Levels, Leisure Time Physical Activity, and Social Roles Among Women in the United States.
- Monalisa, N. N.(2020). Influences on Parents’ Food Shopping for Children’s Consumption in South Carolina.
- Murphy, K.(2020). The Development of Polymer Constructs for Adipose Tissue Engineering Applications.
- Omebeyinje, M. H.(2020). Understanding the Influence of Changing Climate on Mycotoxin Contamination of Food and Indoor Fungi-Mediated Respiratory Illness.
- Reyes, L. I.(2020). Social Networks, the Local Food Environment, and Maternal Food Choice for Children Ages 1 to 5 Years Old in Rural Mexico.
- Sevoyan, M. (2020). Optimal pregnancy outcomes and subsequent postnatal development.
- Trivedi, T.(2020). Intracranial Atherosclerotic Stenosis and Its Association With Inflammation and Meditarrenean Diet.
- Whitt, O.(2020). Examining the Organizational Capacity of Public Libraries That Offer Obesity Prevention Programs.
- Zhang, Q. (2020). Early-onset colorectal cancer in mice.
- Zhang, Z.(2020). The Effects of Organic Products on Conventional Products and Retailer Assortment Planning.
- Crawford, B.(2020). Circulating Calcium, Phosphorus, and Parathyroid Hormone and Aggressive Prostate Cancer in the North Carolina-Louisiana Prostate Cancer Project.
- Davis-Martin, H.(2020). The Interaction Between Caffeine Consumption, Alcohol Use, and Amount of Sleep on Bone Health.
- Kipp, C.(2020). The Moderating Effects of Parenting Factors and Perceived Stress on African American Adolescent Weight Related Outcomes.
- Knoll, M.(2020). Association Between Urinary Enterolignans as a Marker for Gut Microbiome Diversity and Depression in NHANES.
- Meyerink, M. E.(2020). Identifying and Characterizing Transgenic Lines That Drive Gene Expression in the Adult Fat Body of the Drosophila Melanogaster.
- Albadrani, M.(2019). Microcystin Exposure and Liver Injury Outcomes in NAFLD.
- Alrafas, H.(2019). Beneficial Effects of Resveratrol Against Colitis and Colorectal Cancer Mediated by the Host Microbiome, Epigenome, and Immune Response.
- Bader, J.(2019). Macrophages and Associated Inflammation Differentially Impact Obesity, Colorectal Cancer and Obesity-Enhanced Colorectal Cancer.
- Basnet, S.(2019). Role of Resources for Care in Improving Care Behaviors, Children’s Nutritional Status and Early Childhood Development in Low- and Middle-Income Countries.
- Botchway, M. O.(2019). Social Networks, Social Support, and Contextual Factors That Affect Blood Glucose Control Among Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Urban Ghana.
- Boutté, A. K.(2019). Examining the Relationships Between Stress, Depressive Symptoms, and the Neighborhood Food Environment on Diet Quality Among Racially-Diverse Pregnant Women in South Carolina.
- Choi, R. H.(2019). Effect of TRB3 on Skeletal Muscle Mass Regulation and Exercise-Induced Adaptation.
- Crimarco, A.(2019). The Plant-Based and Soul-Full Study (PASS): Examining How Owners of Local Vegan Soul Food Restaurants Promote the Consumption of Vegan Foods in the African American Community.
- Hendley, M. A.(2019). Adipose Tissue Engineering: A Therapeutic Strategy for the Treatment of Obesity and Glucose Intolerance.
- Josey, M. J.(2019). Disparities in Colorectal Cancer: Measuring Spatial Accessibility, Screening, and Surveillance Outcomes in South Carolina.
- Lauffer, B.(2019). Education for Sustainability: The Effectiveness of a Place Based Environmental Education Unit in Food Waste Reduction on the Environmental Awareness of Fourth Grade Students.
- Miranda, K.(2019). Role of Epigenome and Microbiome in Endocannabinoid-Mediated Regulation of Inflammation During Diet-Induced Obesity.
- Nguyen, H.(2019). Parenting and Child Self-Regulation as Mechanisms for the Relationship of Household Food Insecurity with Child Dietary Behavior.
- Omofuma, O. O.(2019). Dietary Advanced Glycation End-Products (Ages) and Breast Cancer Risk and Survival.
- Patel, C.(2019). Co-Occurrence and Non-Overlap Among Behavioral and Health-Related Problems in Preschool Children.
- Pourhoseini, S.(2019). The Health Implication and Application of Silver and Iron Oxide Nanoparticles.
- Sutherland, M. W.(2019). Longitudinal Trajectories of Depressive Symptoms Among Youth and Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: Predictors and Health Outcomes.
- Carson, M. S.(2019). The Contribution of Adipose Tissue from Ovariectomized Mice to Colon Cancer.
- Davis, R.(2019). Potassium Fertilization Effects on Yield for Wheat, Soybean, and Corn Grown in Coastal Plain Soils.
- Loncar, H.(2019). Associations Among Parenting Style and Parental Feeding Practices on Adolescent Self-Efficacy for Diet and Obesity in African American Adolescents.